You have recorded an exceptional video but what about the background score & other sounds in it? How are you going to refine the voice-over and other audio elements to improve the overall output of the project? In a nutshell, you need a full-fledged audio editor for your PC to perform all the necessary tasks. Listed out are some of the best audio editing software that will let you perform professional-level audio editing.
Top Software Reviews
7.Acoustica From Acon Digital
8.Ashampoo Music Studio
What is Audio Editing Software?
Before we dive into the list of some of the best audio editing software for Windows, let’s first get a brief overview of what an audio editor is. We will also understand various benefits of using audio or music editing software.
To begin with, audio editing programs are used to refine sound elements o for a variety of purposes including podcasts, videos, music compositions, voiceovers, etc.
As the name suggests, an audio editing tool lets you edit music files. Not just that, you can also record live samples and perform edits on them. You can cut, trim, replace, copy, and paste sections of the audio as per your taste & preferences. Most of the paid and free music editing software let you export audio output in a variety of file formats as well.
What Are The Benefits of Using An Audio Editing Software?
Here are some of the major benefits of using audio editing software or a free MP3 editor –
- Create, refine, and restore multiple audio tracks.
- Keep the original audio file intact. You can subsequently create versions of edits.
- Most audio editing tools are easy and free to use.
- You can choose among several presets based on the output you want.
Common Features of Audio Editing Software
- Multi-track editing where you can add multiple mono & stereo tracks and perform edits.
- Several clipping tools to cut down redundant parts of the audio.
- Various filters that range from amplifying sound, panning, compression, expansion, etc.
- Noise removal capabilities.
- Compress larger audio files into smaller ones.
- Convert audio files into more common popular formats.
- Normalization features that help to even out all audio samples.
1. Adobe Audition
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11, 10 (Except version 1507) (64-bit), 8.1 (64-bit)
Latest Version – 23.2
Adobe Audition is one of the best audio editing software, capable of both sound mixing and audio editing. Not only you get plenty of tools to edit your audio but you can also apply several effects. It includes waveform, multitrack and spectral display for creating, editing, mixing, and restoring audio content. It has won accolades from professionals from all walks of life such as podcasters, content creators, musicians, videographers and others.
- Several royalty-free loops.
- Spectral displays, multitrack, and waveforms.
- Essential diagnostics and sound panels.
- Duck music for voiceovers, sound remover, denoise and many other tools.
- Part of Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Supports single as well as multi-track audio editing
- You can choose from over 10000 sound effects.
- Complex for beginners
Free trial for 30 days, then $20.99/ month
Adobe Audition is a trusted audio editor for PC. If the quality of output is your goal, Adobe Audition is a force to reckon with, thanks to its precise and nondestructive editing.
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11,10,8.1,8,7
Latest Version – 3.2.5
Looking for free audio editing software? Audacity audio editor is an option you can consider. In fact, it is one of the best choice for those who venture into audio editing. It lets you record and edit video clips. You can add multiple tracks and perform a variety of tasks on them. From simply trimming down your audio clips, mixing sounds, and adding effects, you can do many things. Since it is open source, its source code is available for anyone to study.
- Record sounds live from a variety of devices – microphone, mixer, etc.
- Unlimited sequential undo and redo.
- Non destructive editing
- Easy noise removal tool.
- Multiple file formats supported.
- Free and open source
- Support for several plug-ins.
- Basic multi-track editing support
3. Ableton Live
Windows Compatibility – Live 11 is compatible with Windows 11 and Windows 10 (64-bit), Build 1909. Live 10 is compatible with Windows 11 to Windows 7 (SP1 – 64-bit)
Latest Version – Live 11
Ableton Live is a music editing software available in both free and paid versions. It is a favorite choice among producers across various genres. It has a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) – like interface. It lets you record audio and MIDI takes, splice them, and organize your workflow. It comes in two views namely session view and arrangement view. You can even link two or more tracks and edit content simultaneously.
- Linked-track editing.
- Ability to choose the best pass for a MIDI or audio performance.
- Advanced features like Spectral time, Hybrid Reverb, and Warping.
- Session View and Arrangement View
- Comes with full-featured DAW.
- You can set Tempo Following in your DAW.
- Temp tracking.
- Notation view not available.
Free for 90 days. Then, pricing starts at $16.50 for 6 months
For users who use DAW frequently, Ableton Live would certainly feel at home. It comes packed with tons of instruments, effects, and sounds.
4. Cyberlink AudioDirector
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11, 10, 8/8.1, 7 (64-bit only)
Latest Version – 13.2.2614.0
Cyberlink AudioDirector 365 is an all-in-one free audio editor for PC. It can help you record and mix audio in a seamless manner. Since it works well in unison with another popular Cyberlink product PowerDirector which is one of the best video editing tools in the market right now. You can easily switch between your projects for better workflow. It has a neat and clean interface where you can record, rearrange and trim multiple tracks. Plus, it also comes with a wide variety of AI tools.
- AI speech enhancement to improve the clarity and quality.
- Library consisting of several sound effects.
- Create templates that you can use on other tracks.
- Level out vocals and balance it everywhere.
- Quickly fix pitch and intonation issues.
- Several tools to edit, mix and restore audio tracks.
- Hiss/ Hum/Plosive Voice removal tools.
- Noise reduction capabilities could be better.
Free trial for 30 days (all premium features are offered), then, $4.33/ month
AudioDirector from Cyberlink is one of the best audio editing software not just because it packs several features but also because it comes with AI-powered tools.
5. FL Studio
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11,10,8.1,8
Latest Version – 188.8.131.5299
Primarily FL Studio is a music production software but that doesn’t conceal the fact that it is also one of the best free audio editing software. With this tool, you can load samples, instruments, manually enter note data, play and record MIDI instruments, and mix and master them. It is an industry-standard tool that music producers and top DJs of the world use. It comes packed with a variety of features some of which are mentioned below.
- Audio visualizer built in.
- Support for plug-ins.
- High-quality effects.
- Feature rich piano roll.
- Lifetime free updates
- Great MIDI support.
- Several options to speed up your workflow.
- The location of controls can be intimidating for beginner users.
Free trial. Then, $99
FL Studio is a great music editing software that can be used for pitch scaling and time stretching. It comes with several micro features and is used by professionals, DJs, and artists across the world.
6. WavePad Audio
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 & 10
Latest Version – 17.28
WavePad is a full-fledged free audio and music editing software for Windows that comes loaded with professional audio editing features. It lets you edit voice, music, and other audio elements, thanks to a wide range of tools that it offers. By downloading Wavepad for free, you can add effects such as amplification, echo, and noise reduction to enhance overall quality of the audio output. It works as both MP3 and WAV editor andsupports a wide range of formats such as GSM, VOX, WMA, real audio, and more.
- Cut, split, copy, trim, and do more to audio tracks.
- Batch edit as many audio files as you want.
- Several music and audio effects such as normalization, amplification, equalization, etc.
- Easy noise reduction and pop removal.
- Easy to use interface for nondestructive editing.
- Availability of advanced tools such as speech synthesis and spectral analysis.
- DirectX and Virtual Studio DLL (VST) plugin support gives you access to several effects and tools.
- No mixer and one-track recording.
Just because Wavepad is free to download, doesn’t mean it lacks features. It gives you access to a wide range of effects and lets you create, edit and restore audio files just as any other big player.
7. Acoustica From Acon Digital
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11,10,8.1,8,7 (64-bit)
Latest Version – 7.4.7
Aptly named Acoustica is a free mp3 editor aimed at professional music composers. It can help you with audio editing, mastering, post-production, and audio restoration. It comes with an intuitive, customizable, and easy-to-use interface and offers high-quality audio processing tools. It supports a variety of plugins like VST, AAX, VST3, and tons of AU plugins as well, so that you can take your audio editing game to the next level.
- Comprises multiband dynamics, equalize 2, limit, and other elements.
- Natural sounding verberate 2.
- Dialogue noise reduction.
- Several tools to restore audio.
- Minimalist UI and streamlined workflow.
- Seamless DAW integration.
- Integration with other pro tools, thanks to the transfer plug-in.
- Color coding on tracks can be confusing.
Free trial for 30 days, then $59.90
Looking for free music editing software with support for a wide range of plugins, consider trying out Acoustica from Acon Digital for 30 days.
8. Ashampoo Music Studio
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11 and Windows 10
Latest Version – 1.9.0
Ashampoo is a storehouse for some of the practical utilities for Windows including Ashampoo WinOptimizer which is one of the best PC optimization tools. With that being said, an audio enhenacement software like Ashampoo Music Studio stands out as a prestigious & powerful audio editor for PC that comes from the same brand. With the help of this tool, you can edit, trim, produce, mix, and organize music and other files. You can easily record and adjust the volume or even mute entire sections.
- Easily split MP3 into multiple parts.
- Several keyboard shortcuts.
- Wide range of playlist formats.
- Enhanced music editor with workflow optimized for several tasks.
- Markers can be easily placed during editing audio.
- Smooth transitions between two or more audio tracks.
- Convert to any format.
- Lacks some advanced audio editing features.
Free & £36
All in all Ashampoo Music Studio offers great features both as paid and free music editing software. With this tool you can easily edit, trim, produce, mic, and organize music files.
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11,10,8.1,8,7 (64-bit)
Latest Version – 3.11.22
Ocenaaudio is a free audio editing software. It lets you analyze audio files without much complications. For advanced users, it comes with a wide range of powerful features. It is based on the Ocen Framework, a powerful library developed to standardize and simplify the development of analyzing applications as well as audio manipulation. It even lets you preview effects in real-time i.e. you can hear the processed signal while you adjust the controls.
- Preview effects in real-time.
- Multi-select different portions of an audio file and add effects to them.
- Comprehensive and full-featured spectrogram.
- Advanced memory management helps edit large files.
- VST plugin support
- Cross-platform support
- Less load on computer resources.
- Users have reported that the program crashes in case of editing multiple files.
Ocenaudio is one of the best free audio editing software that comes with an easy-to-use interface and tools that can benefit both beginner and advanced users.
Windows Compatibility – Windows 11,10,8.1,8,7
Latest Version – 184.108.40.206
Wavosaur is yet another great free audio editing tool that comes with a variety of tools. Using these you can edit and analyze audio, record sounds, produce music loops, batch convert files to a variety of formats, and more. The interface is quite similar to he Audacity audio editor. Additionally, Wavosaur is one of those free mp3 editors that support ASIO driver, VST plugins, multichannel wav files, and real-time effect processing.
- Basic features such as cut, copy, paste, insert, replace, trim, crop, etc.
- Export multiple files from markers.
- Many processing options – convert channel from mono to stereo and vice versa, normalize, etc.
- Save loop points.
- Waveform representation is accurate; you can further zoom in and out.
- Batch process and entire folder
- Export files to other platforms such as Matlab and Excel in text form.
- When processing large audio files, errors may surface.
If basic to intermediate audio editing is your goal and you intend to work with small batches of audio files, Wavosaur is a great tool. For more professional audio editing, you can try out other options in the list.
Quality audio is the key when it comes to creating videos or any other media format and if you create content for various platforms, an audio editing tool can be a game changer for you. Our personal recommendation is Adobe Audition. It has the industry’s best digital audio editing capabilities, including multitrack, waveform and spectral display for creating, mixing, editing and restoring audio content. Do let us know which is your favorite music or audio editing tool. And, if your favorite didn’t make it to the list, do let us know in the comments section below.
For more such content, keep reading Top10PCSoftware. You can also find us on Facebook, Flipboard and Pinterest.
Q1. What is the best audio editing software?
We have enlisted some of the best audio editing software for Windows PC using which not only you will be able to record audio but edit it to perfection. Some of the best free audio editing tools include Audacity, FL Studio, Ableton Live and more that can cater to professionals from all walks of life.
Q2. What are the features of audio editing software?
Audio editing software comes packed with a variety of features. Some of the common features of an mp3 audio editor include –
- Background noise removal.
- Record and edit audio.
- Multi-track support.
- Add effects such as reverb, base, etc.
- Ability to save the output in a variety of formats.
- Audio normalization
- Support for plugins.
Q3. Is Audacity free?
Audacity audio editor is a free-of-cost, open-source audio editing software. You can use this audio editor for PC for personal, commercial, and educational purposes on as many computers as you want.
Q4. How can I edit audio for free?
There are various software using which you can edit audio for free. For instance, Audacity is one of the best free audio editing software, where you can record and edit audio files, add filters and do a lot more free of cost.